Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Bible is Hilarious

Photobucket

Seriously... every once in awhile, when I need a good laugh, I get it from the Word of God.

The masses have requested a new blog entry, so I decided to write. (And by the masses, I mean Kevin). Since I don't really have any news to report, I thought I'd share the verses that made me giggle today.

I'm sure that many of you are familiar with the phrase from the Bible that goes something like this: "You are a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness." It's even included in a worship song or two. What I bet you were not aware of is that those words were spoken in accusation. Jonah, who spoke them, was angry at God for being merciful to his enemies. Basically, in the same breath, Jonah tells God, (in my words) "this is why I disobeyed you in the first place, and I was right! You are loving and kind." (As in, kind of a pansy?) In the next breath he asks God to take his life. Clearly, life is not worth living, with a God who is loving and merciful. Ha! If you haven't read the book of Jonah, you should, it's very short. The end of the story is funny too. Jonah continues to be completely ridiculous, and God teaches him a lesson using a gourd. It's good stuff.

The picture is from Jaffa, a city in Israel that we visited. It's where Jonah fled when he was disobeying God, just before his adventure with the whale.

Funny stories of the week:

#1 features a 9 year old boy that I worked with.
Him: What kind of phone do you have?
Me: A Samsung.
Him: Oh. Do you have an ipod?
Me: I have a Shuffle.
Him: Oh. Do you have a boyfriend?
Me: No.
Later... after a discussion of my schooling and credentials.
Him: So you graduated college and you still don't have a boyfriend?

Kids. Gotta love 'em. And later that night....

Me: What do you want to be when you grow up?
Him: An inventor.
Me: Neat! What will you invent?
Him: Weapons.
Pause.
Him: But for emergencies only. Not for the Iraq war. I'm tired of that war.

:)

Last story, involves my friend Ginger. (Who is 24).

Me: If you could be an animal, what would you be?
Her: An eagle. I mean definitely a big bird. Maybe even Big Bird!

Ha ha. (Also discussed: if Ginger were a crayon, she would be Cerulean and I would be Periwinkle. We were happy to realize that in a big box of crayons, we would be pretty close together).

3 comments:

Mom Ryan said...

Hi Colleen,
Always love your blog!! Dad and I are off to Sin City this weekend. Pray for our heathen souls. I haven't been there since before marriage, so it's changed just slightly in 40+ years?? Looking forward to seeing you next week!!
Hi to Ginger and pups!

Kevin Markley said...

awesome. That kid is cool. you should encourage him in that gift he has

Rob, Kelly, Bennett, and Elodie said...

I had to look up cerulean! I think Ginger just picked it to sound fancy ;).

Yes, it is very cute that Ally comments on our blogs!

Love you.