Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Story Of My Life: Answered Prayer

I left a piece out of my salvation story. I mentioned that I found hope in the Delta river, where a bunch of awkward teenagers revealed Jesus to me. What I didn't mention is that nothing actually happened on the houseboat trip. Well, things happened - swimming, mud fights, skits and singing, banana boating, all the good stuff. But no enormous, spiritual transformation occured in my life while I was there. As with everything else in my life, I took it all in, but I needed time to process it. When I returned home, I surveyed the situation. I knew that I was about to leap into something that could bring me unspeakable joy, but it would also bring radical change. And I hate change. I suffer from neophobia, (fear of new things) and I was freaked out. So I prayed, "Lord, I want to live for you. I want hope, and peace, and joy. But I can not do this alone. I need you to show me somehow that I can do this. I need some sign from you that I won't be alone. And then I'm all in. Amen." Yeah, looking back it seems selfish and ridiculous. But God saw me as a heart seeking after Him and being honest about my shortcomings. And He answered my prayer. The next day, one of my closest friends (circa preschool) who had never really claimed any faith, but had been with me on the houseboat trip, called me. She said, matter-of-factly, "I decided to give my life to Jesus. Just thought you should know." That was my amazing, miraculous sign. I think the reason that I left it out of the story is that my precious friend is no longer walking with Jesus. But that doesn't change the fact that she was part of my story. God answered my prayer. And for one glorious summer we worshipped, prayed, and read the bible together. And by the time she walked away from her faith, I was strong enough in mine to do it on my own. And her story is not over.

My story continues with Bumps In The Road and Freedom.



Subscribe in a reader

6 comments:

Linda Z said...

I love to hear stories of how God drew two friends or a husband/wife to a faith in Him at the same time! I hope that your friend allows herself to be wooed back into His redeeming presence once again.

SomeGirl said...

Great reminder that our stories are not finished yet... your friend's story isn't over... thanks for sharing your story! ♥ Michelle

Melissa said...

Colleen,

There is an award waiting for you at Reminder List.

http://reminderlist.blogspot.com/2010/05/prolific-blogger-award.html

Herself said...

One of my great joys and surprises has been the discovery of childhood friends who have found Christ along the way, just as I have. God is faithful in all things!

Colleen said...

Wow, thanks Melissa! That's my first blog award. :) Woo hoo!

Herself: I hope to have more of those experiences in my life. What a joy!

Melissa said...

Colleen,

Once again, your post struck a chord with me. When I was 3 and a half, I would talk to God constantly. At the time, I was an only child, did not go to pre-school or day care and had no children my age in the neighborhood. I was alone -- it was just me and God.

So, one day, I looked up to my ceiling and said, "Hey, Bouja (that's God in Polish) are you listening? Just so you know, I'm surrendering my life to you. Use me!" (My mom had been explaining the choir song about being an instrument of peace, etc.) I wasn't exactly sure what I was saying then, but I know I meant it then and I mean it know. To me, using my life for God means not squandering any of the gifts He gave me, and making the most of each day and each experience.

By the way, I'm thrilled that I got the honor of bestowing your first blog award!