Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Long Journey Home

Well, I am currently sitting on the bathroom floor at my friend Kristin's house in Corvallis, because my dogs will not stay quiet and subdued unless we are together, and everyone else is sleeping. Soon I will wake them up to tell them I'm leaving. The problem is... how am I going to get where I'm going? No, I do not mean philosophically. I mean that various places between here and Redding (which is about half of my drive) are snowy, icy, slushy, and wet. My main concern is the area between Ashland and... I don't know... Yreka? Weed? Anyway, the part of the road that's big, windy, mountain road that's not 100% easy to begin with, and is now sporting patches of ice. My only alternative, however, is taking the 101 down the coast, which sounds just lovely, doesn't it? Yeah, it takes 14 hours. But alas, I must make my decision soon, and begin the long and treacherous journey to the homeland. So wish me luck, dear ones. If you think of me today, throw up a prayer for a safe one. And feel free to call me, because I have my trusty bluetooth, and if I'm on the flat and dry part, I would love some entertainment in the form of... you. :)

3 comments:

Adriana said...

Happy Trails!
Driving down the 101 does sound nice.... I would do it if you're not in a big hurry. Plus, that windy mountanous part is very scary and very tiring. Drive safe regardless!
Wish I could call to keep you company :)
Love you!

Jenna said...

Check your phone messages! I left you one about our conditions driving to Portland yesterday on I-5. Hope you have a smooth and safe trip! Strongly consider 101!

Colleen said...

Thanks Jenna! I got your message, but I actually wrote this blog on Thursday, so I already made it down. I should have taken both of your advice and taken the 101, but I didn't and it was awful (I will blog about it soon). But I made it! I'm definitely going to consider the coast for the way home.