Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Semester's End

Monday was the last day of the semester, and I am tremendously excited, and relieved, to be done. I am still loving school, it is stretching and challenging me in many ways, but wow was I ready to be done with these classes. For one thing, class from 7:30 - 5 every Monday was a bit exhausting, not to mention that the end of that long day was spent with an hour of having to focus and listen to a classmates concerns, and an hour talking about my own. I discovered that being a client is much more challenging to me than being a counselor. I haven't written much about school in my blog lately, which is mostly due to the fact that blogging is another form of processing things for me, and I felt like I had reached the end of my rope on self-analyzing this semester. Why do I want to be a counselor? What is my motivation for helping people? Why is it hard for me to be a client? How did my childhood shape who I am as an adult? How did I process my identity as an adolescent? How did I develop spiritually throughout my life? What are my goals? How will I achieve them? Who am I, really? Aaaaaaahh!! I'm starting to wish that some small part of me could remain a mystery. :) But it's been really good at the same time, and it's exactly what people are expected to do in counseling, so if I'm going to talk the talk, I should walk the walk, right? So, anyway, I'm really enjoying a break from school until May 4th, when I return, and begin fresh classes and new forms of self-discovery. :) Luckily, I am only taking 2 summer classes, and one of them is a bible class. God is infinitely more interesting than I am. Sometime soon, perhaps I will share with you all some of the things I processed through this passed semester, but for now, I am too exhausted with it all. But I want to emphasize, after all that, that I still love school in a major way. If it wasn't challenging, I would be bored, and would likely gain very little.

3 comments:

Mom Ryan said...

At Taqueria last night Nettie was talking about Reed graduating from Sonoma and looking for work, and it is so tough right now for college grads (& everyone else)looking for a decent job. So, it's good that you can do school for now, and hopefully the career you chose will be waiting for You!
Congrats on Year 1 done! Almost?

Linda Z said...

Don't you just feel like turning off your brain sometimes?

Rob, Kelly, Bennett, and Elodie said...

I love this post, you're so cute!

Congratulations on your completed semester, I know how hard you are working.

And don't worry, I am sure you will continue to surprise yourself throughout life ;)!